Wednesday, March 19, 2008

EDEN'S HOUR 03/15/08

Well I did it! This week I managed to finish all seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It is a bittersweet time for me because as much as I LOVE Buffy ...all good things must come to an end. Damnit. Or do they? I think I will have to get my hands on some of the comics that carry the story on past season 7 and find out for sure.

It was my Buffy addiction that initially attracted me to UK band Molloy. Their parody band picture of them as the cast of Shoreditch Vampire Slayers (right) drew me in, but it was their music that made me stay. Jez and Caz were kind enough to send me a cd of some of their favorite Molloy songs so I got a chance to finally play them this week. Their high energy songs are not for those whom are tired and wanting to fall asleep ...I learned that the hard way. Hey, just cuz I like vampire shows like Buffy does not mean that I am one. Of course, it's not just the vampires on that show that seem to have endless energy ...the entire Scooby Gang is always up 24/7 fighting evil. What is up with that? Anyway, if you are in the UK or France be sure to catch Molloy on tour this spring!

Perhaps it was the influence of Buffy working its way into my psyche that drove this week's playlist in the direction it went (with a Magnetic Fields song about Zombies and bands like Vampire Weekend) even though originally I had planned on playing only Twin Peaks related songs this week. I did manage to get in a few songs that were directly Twin Peaks related and some that were very sorta Twin Peaks related.

On the less obvious side of the Twin Peaks songs in this week's show were some songs that Grace Zabriskie (Sarah Palmer on Twin Peaks) turned me on to, like Antony and the Johnsons as well as "Grace Is Crying Her Eyes Out", a song written about her by a former cast mate Jonathan Rundman. While I was getting ready to go to the studio to do the show Richard Beymer (Benjamen Horne on Twin Peaks) called me to chat about stuff and I asked him if he had any special request... always the tricky trickster that he is, he gave me a false band name for his "request" and what I gave him was the 1978 Barnes & Barnes classic, Fish Heads, made famous by Dr. Demento ...and MTV, but who's counting?

Click HERE for the complete playlist for 03/15/08

No comments: