Friday, December 4, 2009

Summer Wasn't That Long Ago... Part 2

A few months ago I headed over to 20/20 Cycle to see a couple Seattle sweethearts perform. Sweet Potatoes and Shenandoah Davis played two beautiful and time warping sets (I mean that in a really good way!).

Playing between them was someone I had never heard of before, but who would unexpectedly take over my ipod for the next few months. Zoe Boekbinder (pic by Beth Hommel) was in town from San Francisco to promote her new album Artichoke Perfume. At the time I was unfamiliar with her other project, Vermillion Lies, with sister Kim Boekbinder so I had no idea what I was in for. Her awkwardness and occasional mistakes were probably given to the fact that this was her first show of the tour, but it didn't matter. It only added to her charm and was quickly overlooked as soon as she started singing. Even with just her guitar and looping vocals she was able to completely captivate the audience. Backed by a full band and featuring songs like Wooden Spoon & Adventures of Turtle and Seahorse (video below), Artichoke Perfume quickly became the most frequently played album in my playlist. And it's been worth every second.



A final word about some of the great new tunes shared on the 10/10 Eden's Hour show ...Kaz Nomura aka PWRFL Power has recently launched his record label, Half Yogurt, with great albums by Dennis Driscoll, Shenandoah Davis, Spencer Moody, Cap Lori and many others who are touring Kaz's homeland Japan. Check out his blog for details.

No comments: