Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Still Looking Forward to Tune-Yards

One thing about Los Angeles that I am still getting used to is how many friggin people there are. Every time I go to a show or outdoor cinema I expect that a few hundred people may show up and I anticipate a little line... but my northwest sensibilities underestimate the sheer masses that inevitably make an appearance. This and the fact that it can sometimes take almost an hour to drive a few short miles has caused me to miss a few bands' performances. The latter was my lame excuse for missing Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley's Evelyn Evelyn set.

But every thorn has its rose and sometimes the vast sea of people only adds to the experience like the thousands of enthusiastic people who shared my delight in the outdoor screenings of Purple Rain and Easy Rider at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. The ambiance was worth waiting in line for over an hour to get in damnit!

The combination of long lines and my lack of knowledge about Hollywood venues has unfortunately caused me to miss not one but TWO performances by an artist I have been obsessed with since the first time Kimya Dawson posted the following video of Merrill Garbus (aka tUnE-yArDs) playing at Troubadour:



I missed her once when I showed up tardy to her LA show in January, but that was cool because Lindsay (from LAKE) was touring with her so I got to chat with her for a bit. But I missed her again when I attempted to see her open for Buena Vista Social Club and Goldfrapp at the Hollywood Bowl.

Lesson learned though. When a show at the Hollywood bowl says it's going to start at 7pm... they mean they're going to start at 7pm!!! And instead of running around trying to grab a bite to eat beforehand, I will bring a picnic and enjoy it in the serene setting of this fantastic amphitheater like every other attendee.

Aw well. Fortunately there are loads of great youtube videos ranging from backyard recordings of her signature lo-fi style to finely tuned in-studio performances like the below from her record label 4AD:



Next time I won't be late!

No comments: